Friday, April 06, 2007

winds of change

I've been saying for several months that we have finally started seeing the socio-political pendulum swing the other way. It is moving slowly and ponderously to be sure, but at long last we are beginning to reverse the incredible influence on our cultural and political sensibility that the current authoritarian neo-Victorianist christianism has exerted.

A lot of my friends have scoffed at me, and I've noticed a deep resignation in a few, a belief that no matter what we do that we are already over the edge and plunging into the abyss of fascism.

I must admit, my own perception that the tide is turning is pieced together from tiny bits of evidence found here and there, but I recently noticed something that I think is the true canary in the mineshaft that makes me certain that our country is going to self-correct the same way that it did in the Sixties and Seventies up until that horrid moment that a C-list actor was elevated to the office of the presidency.

I had occasion to go for a good long drive recently, almost nine hours for the round-trip total. After the first few hours, something struck me, a slight and almost invisible difference in my surroundings. I started paying closer attention, and by the time I returned home, I was sure of it.

We are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel of the dark years our country has gone through during the Bush presidency.


The canary in the coal mine? It is simple evidence that you can easily track for yourself and see if you agree.




Those crappy, jingoistic, yellow "support our troops" ribbons are disappearing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary K. Goddard said...

Maybe in Kansas but, alas, not in Texas...I'll look this weekend, though...

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home