Friday, June 23, 2006

be prepared

In French there is a wonderful idiom that really has no direct translation to any English phrase.

The French term is "l'esprit de l'escalier," which literally means "the spirit of the staircase" and it is a nickname for the phenomenon of the slightly-too-late perfect comeback, that moment when you pause on the stairway after departing an encounter with someone who had given you offense for some reason, and you realize "I should have said such-and-such" with the "such-and-such" being your perfect but now-useless retort.

Listening to yet another of Ann Coulter's psycho-fascist Tourette's Syndrome outbursts, I finally thought of the perfect line to save, just in case I ever have the good fortune to be in that vile creature's company.


"If you were still a man, I would beat the hell out of you."

6 Comments:

Blogger Ronni said...

LOL! Perfect! I guess Loretta is not the only one to have speculated along those lines!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Mary K. Goddard said...

I have a friend who grew up in New Canaan and says she does not know a.c. but knows of her mother. She asked if I would like an autographed picture of her, she things she might be able to get one. I SCREAMED (via e-mail) no, but I'm having second thoughts. Maybe we could deface it and then sell it on e-bay to rase campaign funds. Any thoughts?

3:22 PM  
Blogger Milo Johnson said...

How do you "deface" Ann Coulter? And who in the world is Loretta? And do they have Coulter's high school yearbook? I'd love to have Ann's autographed photo. It would be better than John Wayne Gacy or Jeffrey Dahmer!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Mary K. Goddard said...

Well, my friend actually moved to Iowa, graduated and then moved back so I'm sure she doesn't have any yearbooks but I'll ask her to look around....

So, should I get it and sell it to YOU and donate the money?

9:57 PM  
Blogger Milo Johnson said...

I just want to find out if there's a "Stan Coulter" or a "Dan Coulter" instead of an "Ann Coulter" listed in the class.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Mary K. Goddard said...

You are TOO funny....I'll put her to work on that....

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home