Wednesday, April 12, 2006

could be

It's 1979. The stench of decaying polyester from the death of disco is heavy in the air. The young George W. Bush is busy evading a real job and is drinking large quantities of alcohol and snorting cocaine, as are many other young Americans. The country is in upheaval at the imprisonment of a few dozen American hostages by a theocratic government in the Middle East. The Beachboys experience the time-warp of having one of their old hits come back to life in clubs all over the United States, with a subtle alteration.

Everywhere you go, drunken kids sing "Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran" at the tops of their intoxicated lungs as drugged out DJ's spin the record when the evening's band takes a break.

George seems to be having a bit of a flashback. I hope he sobers up soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ronni said...

I'm SO glad I took a pass on disco and polyester. I get itchy just thinking about it.

I am anxious and restless and feel about the same way I did in 1968, except that I no longer have the immense confidence that I had back then. Then, I felt that I coud make a difference. Now, I feel that I have to make a difference or die trying, and I don't want to die.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home