Saturday, January 28, 2006

the laugh is on them

I was just reading some unintentionally hilarious letters to the editor written by "intelligent design" (creationism) supporters over at http://brentrasmussen.com and while I was laughing hard enough to herniate myself at the colossal ignorance these ranters exhibited, one thought struck me.

I'm not going to waste my time advertising the opinions of these hapless buffoons, but I will say for the record that the three people whose letters were quoted in the article are so abysmally ignorant of what science is that they must have dents in their head from the pressure of the atmosphere trying to squash their empty skulls, and between the three of them would lower the average I.Q. of any major city by at least forty percent.

But, as much fun as it is to mock these louts, that isn't the point of this post.

It suddenly struck me that all of the christian fundamentalists in this country and in others are far more like me than they will ever admit. You see, I am unabashedly contemptuous of all superstition. I conclude that all religions are equally false, equally deceptive, and equally lacking in any merits. Fundamentalists are unabashedly contemptuous of all superstition but their own. They conclude that all other religions are equally false, equally deceptive, and equally lacking in any merits.

So, the total difference between their position on religion and mine is one religion.

Unfortunately, they provide no reason to separate their own preferred brand of mythology from any other, and absolutely no evidence to support their own dismissal of all other religions than their own.

What a delicious irony.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter Jacobs said...

I`m a passionately committed atheist too. The non-religion that dare not speak its name.
I simply think that to believe in something, despite all evidence to the contrary, is not faith. It is stupidity.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home