Sunday, September 11, 2005

the way we were

Four years ago today, I got in trouble with my place of employment for calling in to say that I would not be at work that day as I would be watching the unfolding coverage of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. That morning I said to my employer, who made it clear that it would be looked upon unfavorably if I didn't show up for work, that history was being made, that things would never be the same again, that our country was going to go through several years of the hardest times it had ever seen, that our very American way of life would be seriously threatened, and that the Bush administration was going to take measures that would belatedly be seen as catastrophic and endanger the future of our country.

I got sneering laughter in return.

I quit soon after.


I still wish I had been wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home