Tuesday, November 09, 2004

doesn't anyone read history?

Re-watching the Bill Maher RealTime appearance of Alan Simpson, something struck me that I realized I've been hearing a lot lately.

"This country was founded for freedom of religion."

No, it wasn't. I believe that refers to the Pilgrims, who did not found this country. The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and Bill of Rights are the founding documents of the United States, and the issue was to not be required to pay taxes without being represented and to be free from the rule of the whim of a monarchy. The Pilgrims were here long before that, and while their tradition has become a part of our history they did not have anything to do with founding the United States of America.

Republicans, you can stop lying now. You won. I know it's a hard habit to break, but please, enough is enough. Stop lying, all right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home