Monday, September 04, 2006

I love google

Today I found something I have been looking for for many years.

As a young girl, I played the guitar. I was primarily self-taught but I occasionally hung out with a couple of guys who were very good--who'd jam with me a little and teach me a lick or two now and then. One was a guy named Rob Fair. I was in 7th grade and he in 8th or 9th. He had studied classical and was very good. He gave me a cast-off from his album collection--one that I think he'd gotten from the local (and very hip, mind you) radio station (KFMG) It may have been a promo copy. It wasn't his cup of tea but he thought I might like it and he was right. I learned a song from it that I loved. I couldn't play it at all like the original but I loved playing it, none-the-less.

I don't know when our how it disappeared from my album collection but it did, sometime in the late 70's. I looked around but could not find a replacement. No one had ever heard of it. I had them check the big fat catalogues at the record stores but it wasn't there.

Every now and then, since connecting to the internet, I've done a search to see if I could find any reference to the band or the album. The song I loved so much was called "Rain" and since I've been on a kick drinking gatorade "Rain" lately, the song--in fragments, with what lyrics I could still remember--has been running through my head. Early this morning when I woke up and plodded down the hall to get a drink it started playing in my head again. It's been at least a year, maybe more, since I looked. This time I struck gold:

Cherry Red Review mp3.com clips artists direct clips

"Cat Song" was another good one and I'll bet Ronni and Milo would like that one...I think this is going on my christmas list this year ;-)

I love google.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ronni said...

I've a feeling I'm going to like this. I'm having computer problems right now, and may need some extensive work to my tower, so can't listen. It will freeze my computer if I try. However, from the review, it sounds like my kind of tunes!

Somebody mentioned Steeleye Span to me yesterday, and I loved them, back in the day.

If you don't modernize the arrangements, and use contemporary instruments on traditional tunes, yu are playing history. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but a song's staying power depends on its ability to stay contemporary. IMO.

I've got in fights over this issue with members of The Austin Friends of Tradional Music.

I don't think a lick has to be played exactly the way Blind Lemon Jefferson played it, in order to be authentic.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Mary K. Goddard said...

I'll bet Blind Lemon played his licks many different ways, too--most musicians do. ;-) It's not always an easily discernable difference, but musicians are not machines.

It's funny, on Saturday night we were watching the Squid and the Whale and Bert Jansch was responsible for part of that sound track--"the mister" recognized him right off. He was surprised when he read the Dando Shaft reviews and didn't recognize the names or tunes--he was into Steeleye, Incredible String Band, and Pentangle, etc. as well.

When I get a recording in hand (it's not available for download anymore) I'll let you know. Perhaps you can make the long march over to hear it and meet the moggies, too.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Ronni said...

Pentangle! That's the other band that played that kind of music! And I haven't thought about the Incredible String Band in years! Thanks for reminding me about the music that made my heart go pitter-pat!

John Renbourne. Have I that name anywhere near right? 12-string player extraordinaire?

10:35 PM  
Blogger Mary K. Goddard said...

yep... http://www.john-renbourn.com/

my fave of all, though, is still the man in the black cap:

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/

He doesn't come to our parts often enough....

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home