Wednesday, January 11, 2006

for crying out loud

During today's Alito hearings, the candidate's wife broke down in tears and had to leave the room for a while because she was so overwrought by the harsh questioning her husband was receiving. Throughout the day, Alito had been asked in many different ways and frequently with evident incredulity about his inability to recall having been a member of the less-than-savory Princeton group that was seeking to bar minorities and women from the campus of the famous Ivy League school.

From her reaction, it would seem that Mrs. Alito thinks it, at best, audacious and rude to grill her husband about these inconsistencies on his part. Apparently, we are supposed to simply believe that a man born in 1950 would be unable to recall his membership in this organization because it was so very long ago.

I am nearly as old as Sam Alito. Sam, according to his supporters, is a man of tremendous intellectual and organizational skills, and is being backed as the best possible candidate to fill Sandra Day O'Connor's position. I think it is safe to say that Sam's supporters would think that Sam is a lot smarter than I am.

I spent a lot of the 1980's in a Scotch-and-substances haze. I'm not proud of it, and I don't recommend it to anybody, but it is a fact that I will not try to run away from.

Nonetheless, I remember all of the events I was involved in, all of the groups I was involved with, who and what I supported politically, and why, and I even have the same ability to recall the 70's, 60's, and the last part of the 50's when I was first coming to be a conscious human being.

Yet, Sam Alito, with his vaunted intellect, his immense organizational skills, his straight-as-an-arrow lifestyle, with all of these superiorities to little old me, is unable to.


Cry me a river, Mrs. Alito, cry me a river.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ronni said...

Did you make your font bigger, or are my eyes working better today?

I installed a site meter that gives all that info. I just have the free version, so I only have info on my last 100 visitors, but it ells me quite a bit. I can check by location, by details (what provider they use), by referral, etc. I can tell what system they use, or if they use an anonymizer. You can make it so that you have to sign in to use it, or leave it open so that if anyone clicks on it they can see it. I'll leave it open for today, in case you want to take a look.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home