Friday, September 22, 2006

Friday Cat Blogging...


















This is Velcro, A.K.A. Twinkle. She was already in the household when I showed up in 1995. It was a rocky start, I was a girl moving into the household where she had been the only girl for a few years, AND I brought an upstart little lovebird with me.
Velcro sprayed (yes, such a precious looking little girl) some of my belongings, and talked her buddy Spike into doing the same--I was under seige for the first few weeks I was here, but eventually they stopped targeting me and moved onto my bird. They never got to Benny, we kept his cage high, but once Velcro brought a baby mockingbird in through her little door and sacrificed it right under Benny's cage. We assumed it was a threat.

We eventually became close and from about 1998 to 2003 she slept on my chest or back, depending on my sleeping position, most nights. She'd start out on my chest but if I rolled over during the night she'd simply stand up and, like a tiny 6 and one half pound lumberjack, walk on me as I rolled over, and lay back down on the best part available--hip, chest, bum, whatever. From 2000 to 2003, the nights she didn't sleep on me, she slept on my father, who was elderly, ill, and lived with us. His snoring sometimes drove her back upstairs to me during the night, though.














Velcro was one of the two best cats I've ever known. She was 11 when she passed. My father, who loved her dearly, was on a ventialator in the hospital and the day he came off the vent she started to crash. We rushed her to the vet but she only lasted a couple more days. We didn't tell my father for nearly 3 weeks.
Links to more pics of Twinkle at the bottom of this page

2 Comments:

Blogger Milo Johnson said...

What a beautiful and wise face.

I have started to realize over the last few years that getting old isn't such a big deal. I don't mind getting creaky and a bit slower, I don't mind wrinkles and cranky bowels.

The hard part is losing treasured friends and knowing that their spark of warmth and light will never be around again.

Thanks for sharing your friend's spark with us.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Mary K. Goddard said...

I couldn't agree more, Milo.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home