Friday, June 03, 2005

Deep Throat, part 2

Back in the 70's and 80's, I did a few stints as a salesman of pianos and organs at the large mall piano stores that were so prevalent back then. Part of the routine was to troll for prospects by sitting out at the front of the store playing standards on one of the auto-accompaniment "home entertainment" type instruments, what we sales people irreverently called "pumping the organ." I grew bored of the standard one-finger demo songs, and had some fun playing my own selections. I found that the theme music from the film "Deep Throat," a bouncy little circus-type tune, fit perfectly into the "Fox Trot" music style of most of these machines so I used to play it as people walked around the mall. It was humorous and telling to watch people walk by and try to place the song. It was even funnier to occasionally answer the question "what song is that, anyway?" for the folks who I could tell just couldn't place a familiar tune and watch the subsequent expressions on their faces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home